Thursday, January 9, 2014

Sticky rat traps

My hostel is called Wu Yee Sun and it is on the edge of campus. By edge of campus, I mean it is a 30 minute walk down hill to get to where most of my classes are and where the MTR station is. The hostel building was built just a couple of years ago and opened for students September 2012 I believe, so it is one of the newest. CUHK has a college system, which is sort of comparable to Rice University's House system. You stay in one "college" for the duration of your studies at CUHK, and each "college" has living quarters, a dining hall, study rooms, and I guess each is supposed to have it's own personality or identity. Unfortunately, since Wu Yee Sun is so new, it doesn't seem to have developed a personality yet. I guess I would describe it as sleek and quiet. 

There are two main buildings where the dorm rooms are, West Wing and East Wing. I live in the West, and you have to take the elevator up to my floor, and then use your student card to get into the floor (just like how it was in Jester). The VERY first thing I saw when I entered my floor where sticky pads on the floor in the corners and a sign above them that identified the rectangle trays as "Sticky rat traps." ....I haven't seen  a rat yet and I am hoping not to meet one either. 

One advantage of being at the absolute top of the hill is the breath-taking view. (click here for a picture). My dorm room is much more sleek and well-organized than my room in Jester was. It's set up symmetrically with a dresser, bed, and desk one each side, and a giant window on the back wall. My roommate wasn't there when I moved in, and she's not here yet still (10 days later). Hopefully she'll come soon because it'd be great to have someone who is from around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment